The Catholic Interfaith Committee is a subcommittee of the Ecumenical and Interfaith Commission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne, which is open to Catholics in the Melbourne Archdiocese who are interested in fostering the aims and work of the Ecumenical and Interfaith Commission with regard to Interfaith Relations.
The Committee meets on the second Wednesday of every month (except January) at 5:00pm at the Cardinal Knox Centre adjacent to St Patrick's Cathedral (383 Albert Street, East Melbourne).
If you are interested in joining this work, please contact the Executive Officer of the Commission on 03 9926 5708 or email@example.com
Catholic Interfaith Committee Mission Statement (Adopted by the Ecumenical and Interfaith Commission, 21 st March, 2007)
Since inter-religious relations are clearly acknowledged as an essential work of the Church, the Catholic Interfaith Committee (CIC) is committed to deepening dialogue and mutual respect between the Church and members of other religious traditions. The CIC aspires to promote the teachings and directives of the Second Vatican Council on interfaith dialogue, under the leadership of the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne. Through fostering a spirituality which welcomes and appreciates what is positive in all religions and cultures and, indeed, in secular thought as a gift from God, the CIC promotes joint witness to the importance of religious faith in society. In this way the diverse traditions will contribute to a climate of peace in the world. The CIC has a primary responsibility to provide a high level of support, advice, service and information to the agencies and parishes of the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne.
Goals of the Catholic Interfaith Committee
- To ensure the ongoing education and development of its members in interfaith relations
- To initiate and take part in interfaith dialogue in the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne
- To assist and encourage Catholics in the Archdiocese of Melbourne in interfaith dialogue.
- To share its expertise with and support other Catholic interfaith committees, networks and organizations in Australia.
- To engage in interfaith activity ecumenically where appropriate.
- To develop networks with other interfaith groups and organizations working in Melbourne and elsewhere in Australia.
- To seek adequate resources and funding to respond appropriately to the conduct of interfaith activities in the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne.
- To liaise with the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference Committee on Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations through the Melbourne Ecumenical and Interfaith Commission.